The curious case of Virender Sehwag

All discussions pertaining to the ICC World T20 should be posted here

Moderators: abhati, jaan07, anjali, msdbirti, Jassi, amrita_23

ganesh177

The curious case of Virender Sehwag

Postby ganesh177 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:54 pm

But Sehwag being Sehwag and the vice-captain of the side, the issue can't be kept under wraps for long. Either he is fit or unfit. In both the cases, the questions are discomforting. If he is fit, he ought not to be sitting on the bench. If he is unfit, then he ought not to have taken the plane to England.

If a fit Sehwag is sidelined, Dhoni could have a pronounced reason for it. One, the Nawab of Najafgarh is insisting on being put into the middle order. It's a stretch where Dhoni wants batsmen who could hold end up - like Gambhir and he himself. Sehwag doesn't quite fit into this profile.

Steadiness at number three is probably the reason why Dhoni has pushed Suresh Raina down the order even though the left-hander is in terrific form and was one of the leading scorers of the IPL.

Dhoni, very much his own man, doesn't mind ruffling feathers if he is set upon a course of action. He didn't mind it when he pushed his former skipper Rahul Dravid out of the one-day ranks. Later, he did the same to Sourav Ganguly in Australia.

Dhoni also has a history with Sehwag. The dashing opener had made a sensational return to Test cricket with hundred in the Adelaide Test of the 2007-08 series Down Under and seemed secure for the rest of the tour. He was duly rewarded with berth in the one-day eleven but a few failures and Dhoni promptly put him on the bench. Sehwag didn't play a game thereafter on the tour.

Sehwag, on that occasion, had publicly picked up an issue with Dhoni. He didn't mind being sidelined if his skipper thought he didn't fit into the scheme of things. But he certainly didn't approve when Dhoni explained Sehwag's absence with an imaginary injury which didn't exist! "Drop me if you must but don't cook up excuses," was Sehwag's curt message.

Thereafter, in the 2007-08 Asia Cup in Pakistan, Sehwag smashed 78 and 119 runs from the first two one-day internationals. Inexplicably, he was then rested in the third match against Bangladesh. Recalled for the remaining three games, Sehwag had scores of 42, 49 and 60 runs.

It's understandable that Sehwag is a power bloc within himself in the team. Gautam Gambhir is his fan and adoring partner whose bat bears a good-luck message from Sehwag. He is a powerful figure in Indian cricket, captain of Delhi Daredevils in the IPL and all set to even have stakes in the company. If he is seen as being treated badly by Dhoni, the message could cause disquiet among other seniors such as Yuvraj Singh, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan and even Gambhir.

But then Dhoni isn't the one who takes a step backwards once he has made up his mind. A little flexibility is all that is required in this issue but whether Dhoni is capable of such compromises is another matter altogether.

Source : http://cricket.yahoo.com/cricket/news/a ... d455ff722/

jaan07

Re: The curious case of Virender Sehwag

Postby jaan07 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:22 am

this is a question I have in mind right now...Ganguly was criticized bcoz he wanted to keep his friends in the team...Mahi is being criticized bcoz he doesn't take players tht aren't needed...ppl think he is being selfish n tht captaincy has gone to his head, n he is disrespecting people who once helped him...so how does one or Indian captain in general find a balance between it...
“I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live up to what light I have.”

ganesh177

Postby ganesh177 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:16 am

This is about Viru, not captain.
VS reminds me of Chris Gayle in the way that even if he mistimes a shot it still hits the boundary.
Very dangerous in T20 cricket. A true match winner !
Could be key VS Sa.
If he is out for some unconvincing reasons, then sure team is asking for some trouble.

I don't know what is going on with our team, may be some ego or superiority complex.
Hope they play as team. Othewise like Ravi Shashri said it will miracle if India win cup.

Sush

Postby Sush » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:31 pm

it seems to me like chake de india.... where bindya nair, a strong player was taken to the team only at the crucial stage..... :scratch: :lol: :bounce: :bounce:
keep faith, dont give up - don
always with u

ganesh177

Postby ganesh177 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:00 pm

lol, i appreciate your imagination.:D Well, in that case hopefull we would see viru in Super 8, if not tommorrow.

jaan07

Postby jaan07 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:43 am

“I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live up to what light I have.”

ganesh177

Postby ganesh177 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:17 am

Indian captain says everyone are united, and already did a show off in first press conference. While media claims there is something wrong. And then we alll know the cold war between dhoni and media.

I was reading interview of Mike arthur, who is SA staff i guess. And he says he ofcurs somethig is wrong with indian team. There body language is is not good. And he says we can clearly see some smoke, so there has to be a fire within. Now this is important, a neutral opinion on this issues, since indian media is not able to report on it because of cold war.

Return to “ICC World Twenty20 2009”